Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cabbage Rolls


My mother-in-law Sheila made these for Joel and I and they were sooooo good! She shared the recipe with me and I decided to try them out! They are awesome. Any of you that think...hmmm I don't know about these...JUST TRY THEM! I promise your whole family will LOVE them:-)

I changed a few things in the recipe to my liking...but not much:-)

STEP ONE
Into a large mixing bowl
Pour one large can whole tomatoes (Italian if possible) squash with hands
then pour in one large can tomato sauce
then one can original stewed tomatoes
add at least one or two tbs Worcestershire
add a little less than 1/2 c sugar
add red wine vinegar to taste
needs to be tart and sweet
salt-pepper as needed mix
STEP TWO
Core one nice head of cabbage
place in a steamer to loosen leaves
approx 8-10 minutes
then run cold water into the core
Fun time...peel your leaves off head
set aside


STEP THREE
In medium mixing bowl Add at least one and 1/2 half lb ground beef
add sm chopped onion
add washed and dried 1/2 cup or so of uncooked rice
add Worcestershire sauce to taste then salt and pepper
Add a little of the tomato sauce to make the meat mixture moist
again mix with hands

FINALLY PUT ALTOGEHER
In lrg cooking pan pour in tomato sauce
roll meat combination and wrap in cabbage rolls
then place in pan of tomato sauce
cook about 1 to 2 hrs on low heat


The next time I make these I am going to do one thing differently. I am not going to roll the meat in cabbage (it's a pain in the butt) I will make the meat into balls and cook them in the sauce like you do meatballs. Then I will cook the cabbage and serve the meatballs and sauce over a bed of cooked cabbage:-) Same great taste but much easier to put together:-)

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment