Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken with mushroom and onion gravy


It's been a while since I have tried a new recipe. A friend of mine gave me a version of this...and found a similar recipe that was only 286 calories per serving. That's not too bad. So I decided to make it! It was super easy and had LOTS of flavor!! I will be making this again for sure! Yes, I made mashed potatoes with it...but I only used a little butter and sour cream....it's all about portion control!

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
salt
pepper
garlic
mushrooms (about 2 cups sliced)
1 med onion sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 tbs flour
3/4 cup of white wine
canola oil
thyme


Directions:

Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken breasts. Add canola oil and bring to med high heat ...add chicken and brown on both sides cooking almost all the way. Remove chicken and sit to the side...keeping it warm. I put mine on a plate and stuck it in the microwave. Add onions and mushrooms to the pan...stir for about 2 minutes...then add wine..stir to break up all the bits off the bottom of the pan. Boil until wine mixture is almost gone...then add your garlic...stir. Next sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture...stir until all the flour is mixed in...then add the chicken broth...bring to a boil and stir until mixture starts to thicken....add a little salt and pepper here if needed and some herbs.... Place chicken breasts on top of mixture...cover pan....and let simmer for about 10 min or until the chicken is done.

You can always add herbs to this....but I don't keep lots of fresh stuff around...and am not a big fan of dried herbs...so I just added a touch of thyme...and that's it.

ENJOY!!! YUM!,,,,great comfort food without all of the calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment