Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mama's Pot Roast


YUM is about all I can say about this recipe. Who doesn't LOVE Pot Roast??? My Mom makes the BEST!! I am sure most of us think our Mom's roast is the best...but my mama's really is:-)

Ingredients:
3-5 lb chuck roast boneless (look for nice marbling)
1 can beef broth
1 can water
1 package of lipton onion soup mix
olive oil
salt and pepper
carrots
1 onion
potatoes (about 5 red)

Directions:
The most important part of making a good roast is browning it REALLY well before you cook it!

Preheat over to 300.

Sprinkle a few tbls of olive oil in your dutch oven (AKA spaghetti pot....the whole thing must be able to go in the oven). Turn heat to med high-high. Sprinkle all sides of the roast with salt and pepper....don't be stingy....put a lot on the roast:-) Brown all sides of the roast really well...a few minutes on each side. Poor can of beef broth in the pot with the roast. Take off heat. Add a can of water to the pot. Cover pot and put in over for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is super tender. If you are going to add carrots, onions and potatoes then do so about an hour before the roast is done. Mama adds some wine to hers too...but I don't and it's still totally YUMMY!

Make gravy with the juice from the roast and serve!!!!

Thanks Mama for being the best cook in the whole wide world...and for being the best mother a girl could ever ask for. I have learned so much from you and I am blessed to have had such a great leader in my life:-) I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment